Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jazz - Nice.


Ian has taken it on himself to give his family lounge a makeover, though somehow I think it is going to take quite a bit more than sixty minutes. The photo above was Emailed to me by him earlier this afternoon. Looks like he has his work cut out.

The weather has been horrible and I have been cooped up indoors for most of the weekend with a bad cold. This has left me with plenty of time to surf around looking for things of interest. I have been watching lots of clips of various Jazz drummers on YouTube. Being a rock fan I have been amazed at the technical virtuosity and musicality of the best of them. Here's a clip of the legendary Buddy Rich in a drum battle with Animal from the Muppets - as Louis Balfour of Jazz Club would say "Nice..."



I notice that the writer of the local Plumsteadshire blog has started an online petition to try and get the local council to stop the illegal trade in cars which happens on the common. You can read the details and sign up if you agree here:

Online petition - Stop illegal parking / trading of motor vehicles from Plumstead Common

I have to say that fellow local Blogger Sibonetic vents his spleen at Royal Mail in an entry that I am entirely in agreement with. You can read his posting here.

To further expand on the jazz theme this week, here is a clip from way back in 1961 of the drummer Joe Morello, accompanying Dave Brubeck, playing the classic Take Five:

1 comment:

  1. Oi! "family lounge a makeover"? You make it sound like I've got an East and West Wing to my house! It's our ONLY lounge! LOL!

    It's coming along nicely, hard work as it was the only room in the hose we've not touched in the decade we've lived there.
    You could have filmed an episode of Life On Mars (or The Sweeney) it was that 70's! The artex was almost an inch thick in places #shudder#. We've found that dyed into the actual wall is a 1900's "distemper" wall pattern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distemper_%28paint%29
    which is irregular to say the least. Hats off to my retired parents as their doing 90% of the work (well it was that or send 'em down t' pits, they have to be SOME use! LOL!).
    Getting 2 tonne of stone chippings delivered for the front garden today, now all I got to do is find that plastic arm I "acquired" from an old shop manikin, that'll look great stick up outta the stones...

    Funniest misread sentence of the week goes to…."I have been cooped up indoors for most of the weekend with a bad cold. This has left me with plenty of time to surf around looking for things of interest. I have been watching lots of clips of various Jazz..." BWHAHA! ("Jazz" slang ;- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_%28word%29#Association_of_jazz_with_sex)

    Buddy Rich is an astounding drummer, I played with a bloke who idolised him the problem is you can't play covers of songs with the drummer trying to be Buddy Rich, its too damn much! That video clip of him Vs. Animal was a classic, never seen that before. You can tell it was from an early episode, I'm guess it was very early 70's?

    Nice to see abit more meat in Blog!

    ReplyDelete