Sunday, December 30, 2007

Guilty pleasures.

For the first time since it opened about four years ago, I went for lunch in the KFC drive through at the end of my road, opposite that other bastion of culinary blandness, McDonalds, who also have a drive through. I reckon they want to get people to spend their money and out of Erith as quickly as possible. Anyway, I have to admit to a guilty pleasure. KFC Savoury Gravy. I was introduced to this insidious, chemical laced gloopy gunge some years ago by a former work colleague and it is absolutely delicious. Asking around, I find that I am not alone in finding this obscure condiment so tasty - several friends have admitted that they too love it. Bearing in mind I eat at KFC at most once a year, it is some tribute to the stuff. I have also found out that noted food bloggers will cagily admit a similar liking for KFC gravy - one good example is here. The same person also has a Flickr account with photos here. There is even an online support group here.

I have found a recipe to reproduce the KFC gravy below - you can tell it comes from an American website and would make enough for what looks like at least a gallon!
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 (10 ounce) cans franco american beef gravy
1 pinch ground sage
  1. In a blender combine the cold water and cornstarch.
  2. Blend until very smooth.
  3. In a large saucepan over medium high heat combine the remaining ingredients and the cornstarch mixture.
  4. Whisk until thick, clear and hot.
  5. Serve.
Shirley for some reason likes the photo (below) of her in my bath robe, but does not really like the photo I took of her next to the Christmas tree in my Mum's living room in my last blog entry - any ideas? Personally, I thought it was a very nice picture. Please leave a comment below.

You can see the pub at the end of my block of houses and read a suitable and accurate review here. In the eleven years I have been living in Erith, I have been in there only a couple of times - full of yobs and no real ale. Enough said.

Today's Sunday Times reports the results of an opinion poll that shows that Britons regard anti social behavior as the most worrying subjects. You can read the full article here.

The guys from American food blender company Blendtec have finally done the (almost) unthinkable and have put an Apple iPhone though the "Will it blend?" test - see below and wince...

1 comment:

  1. KFC gravy is god's own sweat!
    I first came across it in the States about 15 years ago (where you could also get WHOLE rotessire chickens and...scones, weird) and raved about when I came back and everyone just stared at me as if I was mad, MAD I TELL'S YA! "KFC and GRAVY??!" I imagine it's chock full of salt and fat but I really can't have a KFC without it now to dip me chips in.
    Mind you their sweetcorn is bloody horrible. Just tastes like boiled water with a hint of sugar AND their tiny!
    Oh my fast food recommendation is a double cheese-burger from McD's, just over a pound (in money not in weight of fat) and it's a complete beautifully disgusting wedge of "mmmnnummm"-ness. I only let myself have one once in a blue moon as it has been proven to clog arteries at 300 paces.
    Actually what about a posting about the relative merits/detriments of fast food? I mean Subway Vs Burger King Vs Kentish Fried Chicken Vs. McBluuuurgh! Etc.

    ReplyDelete